Monday, April 07, 2008

Identity? What Identity?

Anyone who's been out with me has come to see that when I drink, a couple things might happen; I'll either pass out early, or somebody else shows up at the party. And by somebody else I mean a whole 'nother way I operate. Personality wise. Far as I can tell, there's Jamal(?) my south-side influenced black male personality that nearly made my friends crash the automobile from laughter. In addition to him, the more prevalent personality would have to be... Captain Awesome. I don't even know where he came from, but after imbibing alcohol I become a lot funnier (according to witnesses), a lot more shameless (if that were possible) and a lot more perceptive/intelligent. Who knew?
As far as drunken personalities go, it could be a lot worse.


"Drunk lips speak sober truths" as the saying goes. I know a lot of people who put their misbehavior onto drinking. Not an excuse, but a reason. At least in my case, I've never been terrible, I get a good conversation and a dance, but never anything to do with a walk of shame the next day. But these are our inner ids, right? Our basest most natural instincts and impulses? Where can we draw the line between who we are and what we are, if that makes any sense? After drinking everything falls down, true colors can show. But then again, it's also our choices in action that can define our selves... each choice being a chiseled piece off the raw marble block that constitutes ourselves. Not like it's a big deal, but I find myself combining more and more of the Captain into my conscious, sober self. Knowing what I can do is starting to affect what I am willing to do, apparently.

Meh, if anything I guess deep down I'm a fearless, intelligent, funny person. I can live with that.

No comments: