Sunday, November 20, 2005

Ok Go - the concert

OK AWESOME!

This past Friday I had the unmitigated pleasure of watching an awesome band: Ok Go (www.okgo.net). The last single I had heard from them was "A Million Ways" and the first "Get over it." They rocked me crazy with both. (And not just because they danced their asses off in the former's music video.) I don't even know what songs they played, but each was awesome and got me moving. They covered the Violent Femmes, mixed the old and the new, culminating into the encore. The lead singer (Damian, so my girlfriend tells me) uses the stage well and even snuck into the crowd. It was great to see him perform so energetically, considering he had prefaced the entire performance by announcing he had had too much caffeine and not enough sleep.

Oh yeah. The encore. They dance. They danced HARD. Following a rant from Damian about the deteriorating values of an encore, the crowd was treated to a live performance of their "A Million Ways" interpretation, much appreciated by the crowd and this writer particularly for all the screaming that went on. They're real, yo. Straight up.

It was a good time at the Metro again, and the only thing that kept the night from being perfect was getting my bag checked... only to see some people hadn't been asked to do the same. Thankfully the staff was really respectful about addressing my concerns and spoke to me in a courteous manner. Cookie points to them.

Alas, the time did feel too brief, and I have no recollection about the opening bands but I did think they were pretty cool too. Ahh.... good times in Chicago.

THANKS OK GO!

No comments: